1. All SIFE teams have challenges – no matter how big or small you are, how established or new, how far you got in the competition or how many projects / members / grants you have!
Every SIFE team has an unique set of challenges to deal with. Some of these challenges are ongoing whilst others come and go; but what is clear, is that every team has them. So whatever team you’re from, don’t be daunted by the challenges you might have to face, it’s all part of the process.
And as they say, nothing worth having comes easy – so when things get tough, talk to your programme manager (that’s what we’re here for), use the support network around you and take on those challenges to the best of your ability. It will be worth it, promise.
2. Summer SIFEing can make a world of difference to your SIFE team & its projects. Has SIFE been on the back burner this summer? It can happen so easily, with internships and holidays being the focus over the summer months, its easy for SIFE to get pushed to the back of your mind.
However, the impact that working, planning & researching over the summer has on a SIFE team is undeniable. It can enable a team to really nail the recruitment and retention process, to put together a project plan so the project is ready to get going come October, or build those key relationships that are vital to the success of a team and its projects. Simply put, working over the summer will give your team a head start.
3. SIFE is like family. Sometimes it drives you crazy, but you know you love it. The unique thing about SIFE, what make it so different to any other society, is the support network you gain access to. This support network exists in the form of your own SIFE team, your university advisor, teams across the country and across the world, the SIFE alumni network & of course SIFE UK staff. If you need support in any way, shape or form, there is somebody on that list who will be willing to help you. All it takes if for you to reach out and ask for it.
4. Time flies when you’re having fun. My first year working for SIFE UK has gone by so fast, I almost can’t believe its been a year. This has also meant that sometimes time goes by so fast, I end up wishing I’d used it better.
Two things I’ve learnt this year on the topic of time management:
1. Play to your strengths – its very important to know yourself. Are you happier communicating via phone or email? Do you work better during the day or evening? What helps you meet deadlines? Learn these things about yourself & make sure you play to your strengths!
2. Learn to prioritise your tasks (what needs to be done first, and when does it need to be done by?) And how to delegate (do you really need to be doing this? Or is this somebody else’s task?).
5. Sometimes all you need to do is ask. Simple enough, right? Yet you’d be surprised how many people don’t ask – whether they need something done, or they’re asking for a favour or they have a question. Ask, and you will find out!
Happy SIFEing everyone!
SIFE Love, as always,
Ranj & the SIFE UK team.